Chapter-1: Basic Machine Tools and Metal Cutting Principles
- Differentiate between machine and machine tools
- State and explain machine tools classification
- What are basic machine tools?
- Discribe working and auxiliary motions in machine tools
- Explain the chip formation mechanisms and basic requirements to form a chip
- Discuss types of chip with neat sketch
- Explain types of cutting tool material and its characteristics
- With neat sketch, explain a single point cutting two geometry
- What is tool signature? Explain
- Differentiate between orthogonal cutting and oblique cutting
- Discribe tool wear
- Define tool life. Discribe factors affecting tool life.
- The cutting speed is increased from 50 m per min to 100 m per min. Find out percentage decrease in tool life, use Taylor equation and take n = 0.14
- Define machinability. Discribe the factors which affects to machinability
- Discuss the criteria for evaluating machinability. Write in short about machinability index.
- Explain the following (i) Purpose of cutting fluids (ii) Properties of cutting fluids
- Discuss different forces acting in metal cutting.
- Derive the expression for shear angle and chip thickness ratio.
- Explain with neat sketch merchant circle.
- Discuss about power calculation.
Chapter-2: Metal Cutting Lathes
- List various types of lathes. State the main function of a lathe
- Discribe in brief an engine lathe
- Discribe the principal parts of a lathe machine with help of simple sketch.
- Sketch a lathe machine and explain its constructional detail
- Sketch different type of lathe bed guidways and explain their functions
- Discuss the function of head stock
- Discribe with simple sketch the working of back geared head stock
- Explain construction of all geared headstock
- Sketch the tail stock of lathe and explain its construction and working
- Differentiate between the motion of cross slide and compound rest
- How a lathe machine is specified ? Write the complete specification of a lathe
- Draw block diagram of lathe and show following lathe specification on it
(a) Height of centres (b) Swing over the bed (c) Swing over carriage (d) Length of bed
- Write short note on
(a) End gear mechanism (b) Apron mechanism (c) Back gear mechanism
- Explain working of split-nut mechanism of a lathe
- Write in brief about
(a) Three jow chuck (b) Four jow independent chuck (c) Collet chuck (d) Face plate and angle plate (e) Drive plate and lathe dog (f) Mandrel
- Distinguish between steady rest and follower rest
- List the various operations that can be performed on lathe
- Explain the tailstock offset method of taper turning
- Discribe the working of a taper turning attachment
- Define taper. How is the amount of taper specified ?
- With help of sketch, discribe following operations,
(a) Facing operation (b) Chamfering operation (c) Knurling operation (d) grooving operation (e) Parting off operation (f) Boring operation (g) Undercutting operation (h) Spinning operation
- Explain with neat sketch the principle of thread cutting on a lathe. Find out relation between ratio of change gears to the work pitch and lead screw pitch
- Calculate change gears for to cut thread of 1.5 mm pitch on a lathe having 6 mm pitch leadscrew. (20 : 80)
- Discuss about lathe attachment
Chapter-3: Drilling Machines
- Classify drilling machine
- Discuss : How the size of the drilling machine is specified ?
- Prepare a sketch of radial drilling machine and explain functions of its parts
- Compare a gang drilling machine with multiple spindle drilling machine
- Explain the construction of following parts
(a) Base (b) Column (c) drill head (d) spindle drive and feed mechanism
- Discribe twist drill geometry
- Draw a sketch of a simple twist drill with tapered shank and show its various elements
- Explain with neat sketch tool holding devices of drill
(a) sleeve (b) socket (c) chuck
- List various drilling operations
- Discribe with neat sketch following drilling operations
(a) Reaming (b) boring (c) counter sinking (d) spot facing (e) trepanning
- What is reamer ? List various types of reamers
- Write in brief about alignment test of drilling machine
- Calculate spindle speed for 20 mm drill size and cutting speed 30 meter per minute.
Chapter-4: Boring Machine
- Classify boring machine
- Draw a block diagram of boring machine
- Discribe the major parts of horizontal boring machine
- Draw block diagram of vertical boring machine.
- Differentiate between horizontal and vertical boring machine
- Explain working of jig (precision) boring machine
- Discribe different boring machine operation with neat sketch
- Write in brief about boring machine specification.
Chapter-5: Milling Machine
- Classify milling machine on the basis of construction, use and specific characteristics
- Compare between plain and universal milling machine
- Draw block diagram of a plain milling machine and lable various component
- Name and discribe the principal parts of a milling machine
- How does a fixed bed type milling machine differ from a planer type ?
- State functions of milling machine parts
- Discribe various milling machine attachments in brief
- Classify milling cutters
- Explain working of following cutters with sketch
(i) Plain milling cutter (ii) Side milling cutter (iii) Angle milling cutter (iv) End mill cutter (v) Formed cutter
- Discribe with sketch, elements of plain milling cutter
- Classify milling processes. Explain peripheral milling process and face milling process.
- State difference between UP milling and Down milling
- Explain with sketch following milling operation
(i) Plain milling operation (ii) Face milling operation (iii) Side milling operation (iv) Straddle milling operation (v) Angular milling operation (vi) Gang milling operation (vii) End milling operation (viii)Key-way milling operation
- What is indexing ? How it is performed for gear manufacturing ?
- Discribe with sketch working of universal deviding head mechanism
- Explain : (1) Simple of plain indexing (2) Compound indexing (3) Differential indexing
- Discribe simple indexing process for 25 divisons.
- Index for 87 divisions with help of compound indexing
- Index for 83 divisions with help of differentiate indexing.
- State purposes of alignment of milling machine
- Explain following alignment test
(i) Eccentricity of external diameter (ii) True running of internal taper (iii) Traverse movement with spindle axis (iv) Parallelisim of T-slots (v) Squareness of column ways with table (vi) Over arm parallel with spindle.
Chapter-6: Planer, Shapers and Slotters
- Draw a line diagram of a planer and label various parts on it
- Discribe the functions of main parts of a planer
- Explain in brief working of double housing planer
- Write in short about open side planer
- Explain the basic difference between a double housing planer and a pit type planer
- List the various work holding devices of planer with their functions
- Sketch various planer tool indicuting applications
- State difference between open side planer and double housing planer
- Discribe working principle of a shaper
- Draw a line diagram of a shaping machine and discribe its working.
- State principal parts of a shaper with their functions
- Give classification of shaping machine
- Explain working of a slotted link mechanism of shaper
- Discribe working of a hydraulic shaper mechanism
- Discribe difference between crank shaper and hydraulic shaper.
- Give specification of shaping machine
- Explain :
(a) Adjusting the length of stroke of shaper
(b) Adjusting the position of stroke of shaper
- Explain with sketch working of a pawl feed mechanism
- Discribe different shaping operations performed on shaping machine
- Explain cutting speed, feed and depth of cut with respect to shaping machine
- Give comparison between planer and a shaper
- Draw diagram of slotting machine
- Discribe the functions of different parts of slotting machine
Chapter-7: Sawing and Broaching Machine
- What is sawing ? List different types of sawing machines
- What is the difference between straight teeth and under cut face teeth profile ?
- Explain in brief working of Reciprocating sawing machine,Circular sawing machine and Band sawing machine
- Differentiate between a reciprocating saw and band saw
- State advantages and limitations of metal sawing
- What is broaching ?
- Sketch a broach with different elements. Discribe each elements.
- What are materials of broaches ? Sketch typical tooth form of a broach
- Discribe different broaching methods.
- State classification of broaching machine
- Explain working of Horizontal broaching machine, Vertical broaching machine and Continuous broaching machine
- State advantages and limitation of broaching
- State with sketch some application of broaching operation.
Chapter-8: Grinding Machines and Abrasive
- What is grinding. State various grinding processes
- Give classification of grinding wheel
- What is function of grinding machine ?
- Give simple sketch of cylindrical centre type grinding machine with the list of its main components
- Explain in brief working of cylindrical centre-type grinding machine
- State functions of main component of grinding machine
- Discribe in brief “Universal centre – type grinder”
- Discuss about plunge-cut grinding
- What is centreless grinding ? Explain in brief centreless grinder.
- Discribe the advantages and limitation of centreless grinding
- Discribe various types of surface grinders
- State with sketch main difference between reciprocating table type and rotary table type surface grinding
- Discribe with sketch internal grinding
- Explain : Centreless grinding internal type
- Discribe in brief : Tool and cutter grinder
- What are the common natural and artificial abrasive ?
- What are the properties required for a good abrasive ?
- What is the effect of grain size on metal removal rate and surface finish produced ?
- List various type of bonds used in the manufacturing of grinding wheel
- Discribe about different bonds used for grinding wheel
- State difference between glazing and loading
- What is difference between truing and dressing
- Sketch the common grinding wheel shapes
- Explain : Standards marking system of grinding wheel
- Write in brief about selection factors of grinding wheel
- Explain surfinish processes (1) Lapping (2) Honing (3) Superfining
- Explain diference between (1) Lapping and honing (2) Polishing and buffing
- Write in brief about burnishing process
- State difference between rough grinding and precision grinding
- Discribe main steps to manufacture of grinding wheel.